Happy Navratri 2019: 10 Navratri special foods you can enjoy while observing Navratri Vrat (Fasting)
Happy Navratri 2019: 10 Navratri special foods you can enjoy while observing Navratri Vrat (Fasting).
Navratri 2019 is here and it's evidence is everywhere. Dussehra (Vijaya Dashami, Dasara, or Dashain) is a Hindu festival that celebrates the victory of good over evil. It is a gazetted holiday in India, which is marked on the 10th day of the bright half (Shukla Paksha) of the month of Ashvin (Ashwayuja), according to the Hindu calendar.
It is celebrated because Shri Ram killed the demon king Ravana after a 9 day battle with him and freed his wife, Goddess Sita, from Ravana’s captivity.
So here we bring to you few food items which you can have while having Navratri Vrat or fast:
1. Aloo ki Kadhi: Navratri special food is its main ingredient - potato and its preparation with mild spices. While fasting for Navratri, devotees avoid consuming legumes and lentils, while vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, Arbi and Suran are okey to eat.
2. Sabudana Khichdi: Sabudana acts as the instant energy booster during these fasts Sabudana Khichdi made of tapioca pearls, also known as sago Khichdi in the Southern part of the country, is one of the most common Vrat dish during Navratri fasting. You can spruce it up with peanuts, fresh coriander and mild spices.
3. Sookhi Arbi: Arbi or 'Colocasia' is a great summer vegetable that is quite versatile. This Navratri special food goes well with all your puris and rotis. It is made with mild spices.
4. Shakarkandi Chat: It is Made with boiled and peeled sweet potatoes and topped with lemon, rock salt and chat masala, shakarkandi chat is one of the most popular Navratri special foods.
5. Kacche Kele ki Barfi: Kacche kele ki Barfi is made with raw banana, sugar and milk. Kacche Kele ki Tikki is a well-known Awadhi dish, that can be consumed during the fasting of Navratri. Raw banana, apart from potatoes and bottle gourd makes for a great fasting ingredient.
6. Singhare Atte Ka Halwa: Singhara atta is another Navratri special ingredient that is used commonly in place of your regular grains or wheat. This dessert is made with the goodness of water chestnut flour, sugar and ghee and nuts.
7. Vrat Ke Chawal Ka Pulav: Regular rice is not permitted for consumption during the Vrat. Many devotees use Varat Ke Chawal or Samai ke chawal (barnyard millet) for their fast preparations. You can use this to make a wholesome pulao and serve it with kaddu ki sabzi or lauki ki sabzi.
8. Sabudana Kheer: This sabudana kheer recipe here is super easy and quick, made in just 30 minutes from soaked Sabudana which is usually consumed during the fasting season like Navratri. It is flavored with a cardamom and saffron.
9. Roasted Makhana or Phool Makhana: Makhanas or fox nuts are also quite high up on the popularity charts of Navratri special foods. You can add them to your kheer, or make Makhane ki Sabzi.
10. Kuttu Atta ki Puri: Kuttu is known to lift up your energy levels. These puris are made with Kuttu ka Atta and can be served with Aloo Bhaji. These puris can also be savoured with a bowl of chilled curd.
So enjoy your Navratri with these dishes and make it a delicious Navratri.